Wednesday, October 20, 2004

I'm a quitter!

Those of you who know me are aware that I’ve had a sordid love affair with cigarettes for about eight years now. And now I’ve decided eight is enough. The weird thing is I kind of decided to quit on a whim. I’d been thinking about it for a while, since most of the smokers I know quit in the past couple years. Then, last Wednesday morning when I was out of smokes I thought, what would happen if I just didn’t buy anymore? I haven’t had one drag since then. I won’t say it’s been easy, the quit has its ups, its downs, and times when I think whatever sanity I had left will never return.

Fortunately there’s a lot of support out there for quitters. I’ve also learned that breaking an addiction is an excellent way to gain some perspective on yourself and your personal demons.

According to my Quitmeter I’ve been smoke free for 1 week, 17 hours, and 26 minutes. I’ve avoided smoking 30 cigarettes and saved almost $6. It’s a start. According to statistics most smokers attempt quitting three times before they’re successful, and those who use nicotine replacement or other smoking cessation aids are twice as likely to stay quit. Seeing as this is my first serious attempt to quit and I’m not using anything other than straws and deep breaths to combat the cravings, let’s all hope I beat the odds.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats & Good luck to you! -TBone

4:42 PM  
Blogger Franklin said...

Wow... another one jumps on the blogger bandwagon.. Yippee! Way to not smoke the bad smoke! I'll support your non cigarette behaviors. By the way, if you ever run into Brent Bozell tell him to stay out of New York or I'll punch him in the face!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl, now all you have to do is get pregnant ;)
miss you and love the blog
Darah

8:29 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

LOL Darah, have you lost your mind? Must be the hormones ;) How's that bun in the oven these days?

9:03 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

The last time Bozell was in NYC was for the RNC several weeks ago. I don't think he does too much business there, it being the hotbed of sin and debauchery it is. Where oh where has your decency gone New York? I’ll pass your message along though :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

"eight is enough"?

What's wrong with 12? But I'll leave my dildo out of this...

P.S. you don't link to my genius blog.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Thanks for pointing out the errors of my ways Dave. Your “genius” blog is now linked.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I NEVER KNEW I COULD STRETCH THIS MUCH!
He is ready to come out any day now..cant wait! Doc says he may even be a 9-10 pounder :o
hopefully you will see him soon enough :)
Love Darah

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home