Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Pink Stuff...It's not just for humans anymore.

::Warning - This post contains icky details about doggie poo, and it's probably not that interesting to most of you. But hey, read on if ya want to::

So last week, I think it was around Wednesday, my doggie Dexter came down with some gastro-intestinal distress. He has been very good about not having accidents in the house for a very long time. So imagine our horror and surprise when we discovered that sometime during the night Dexter had stolen away to the dining area and left three puddles of putrid smelling mess. EWWWW! So, after a trip to the vet and a fecal test that came back negative, it appears there's nothing seriously wrong with him. Unfortunately Dexter continued to have some "accidents", and I was at my wits end, but becoming very handy with the baking soda and carpet cleaning. So the vet told us to give our dog Pepto Bismol. Now I've never taken it myself, but it doesn't smell too pleasant or look too appetizing. Turns out, Dexter seems to feel the same way. The comedy ensues as I smear peanut butter on the rim of the cup, beg, plead, and wrestle with Dexter trying to get the stuff down. As soon as it reaches his mouth (most if it spilling on the way) he spits it out and shakes his head, spewing pink stuff all over the kitchen and me. Jason tried to give him the next dose, then we tried it as a team effort. I wish I had pictures of the Pink smeared Dexter. It was pretty funny. Anyway, lucky for us just 2 doses seemed to get him back to regular. Really, the things we do for the little poop monster!

10 Comments:

Blogger The World Against Me said...

OH man.. I would have loved to see pictures.. my dog just got a deep cut in one of his front paws.. for a couple of day.. he is just wandering around the house like he was dying, bleeding all over the place. but yesterday, when I took him out for a walk, he acted like he hasn't been out for months.. go figure.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Glad he's recovered!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

Oh boy, have I had that problem before. Yuck. My dog went on a bland diet for a few days, which he enjoyed heartily because he got to eat chicken and rice--people food! Damn dog ate better than I did.

TOTALLY make a webpage for your dog! And then tell me when you do!

2:04 PM  
Blogger ramblin' girl said...

the things we won't do for our dog... I have quite a few funny "get the dog to take her medicine" stories myself... maybe I'll share them soon. glad the Pepto helped, and Dexter's feeling better!
And thanks for stopping by my side of blog world!
Cheers!
rg

2:55 PM  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

Also, your dog is adorable. :)

9:12 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

We all have stories about what helps the medicine go down in the most delightful ways. They have stuff like pepto, really mild capsules with Bismuth Subsalicylate in it. Much easier to get a dog to take the solids than the liquids.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... Cats are just so much simpler... If they get sick it's always in (or near) the litterbox. Phew!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

F-Town what are you talking about?? Cats puke, and its not in the litter box most of the time! Although my kitties have gotten quite good at getting it as near to the toilet as possible! Althought I did find myself thinking the other day how great it is that my cats hardly ever puke!

TBone

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never appreciated the greatness of nonpuking cats. You people are weird.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Wow, 10 comments on this post and only one of them is mine? I think that's a record on my blog (is that kind of sad? Probably). Ha! I shall add another...11

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home