Friday, May 20, 2005

Stop, think, save a life.

I just read this article that I found on NoPuppyMills.com. It pretty much sums up how I feel about the pet owning public. I don't much like to go off on rants about how much I hate dog owners that are ignorant or negligent, back yard breeders, or the pure evil of puppy selling pet stores. It just makes me too upset. But please people, dogs are not furry little humans, children, or material possessions for your amusement that can easily be tossed once you tire of them or they poop on your carpet (I'm looking in your direction, Dexter). And know where your pet is coming from. Just because it's a purebred, has AKC papers, or costs $3,000 at an upscale pet shop does not mean it is a better dog than any mixed breed dog you could adopt from a shelter, rescue agency or humane society. In fact, pet store puppies have a very high probability of being from a puppy mill.

Dogs are a lot of work, expensive, and will make you crazy some days, but IMO they're totally worth it :)

5 Comments:

Blogger The World Against Me said...

I think the worst part about any animal crudity case is the punishment. Now I understand people think that pet-lovers are “obsessive” and that it’s just a “pet”. I think my animals as an extend part of my family. And a few hundred bucks for mistreating them is just bullshit.

About 3 months ago, I came home and saw a pitbull in front of my house. She was in poor shape: flea / tick bites all over, bald spots and scratch all over the body probably due to bites, ribs are clearly showing from malnutrition. Everywhere she said down, she left a puddle of blood from the bites. To make it worst, her nails are extremely long, from sitting in the backyard too long and lack of exercise and walks. So we gave her some food and water (which she gobbled up) and called animal control. It took them almost 4 hours to come, I spend the afternoon reading a book outside and kept her company. After the animal control officer came, I obtain a number where I can call to check up on her. I called a couple of days later and found out that they released the dog back to her owner. And stated that a citation was written. WTF, if you saw the shape of this dog, you know she has been mistreated for a LONG time, the nail would not have been in that condition just over night… @!$!@$!@#!

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the world against me: I think this is a prime example as to why in such cases you should call a rescue group instead of animal control. There are definately instances in which to call animal control, but ALWAYS call a rescue group for domestic animals first.

2:24 PM  
Blogger The World Against Me said...

I am going to do that from now on. I just could not believe how that mishandled this.. ARGH

3:23 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

It seems to me that in most cases the law will allow people to keep pets in what most real dog lovers would call deplorable conditions if they feel certain "bare minimum" standards are being met. Plus, animal control practices and laws vary greatly from region to region. I think the problem lies with the dogs being viewed as personal property instead of living, breathing, feeling beings that deserve our respect and the best possible care. It’s really though to watch these animals fall through the cracks, ultimately leading a life of misery. So sad. (I watch Animal Cops on Animal Planet a lot; it can get very disturbing sometimes, but a great show!)

Thanks for stopping by my corner of the blogworld new peoples!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

amen good peoples..amen!

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home