Thursday, June 23, 2005

Disaster in my Wake

If I am ever in your neighborhood you should probably leave with me when I go, because chances of a natural disaster striking that area appear to be pretty good. And natural disasters tend to happen where I am not, with the exception of that hurricane in the DC area back in 2003. That got me out of two whole days of work giving me a four day weekend with no electricity. Yipee! And even that was more like just a really bad Midwestern thunderstorm where I lived in Bethesda.

When I moved to California I started waiting for my first earthquake. The week I left for my Arizona vacation was the week earthquakes big enough to feel hit CA, and I missed them. Hell, there was even a tsunami warning? Crazy. Anyway, I’ve still yet to feel a single earthquake.

And now that I’m back here in CA the area I was visiting around Phoenix, AZ last week is now ablaze with wildfires. WTF?

I lived through many, many tornado watches and warnings in Wisconsin without ever seeing a single cyclone. And it’s not like I didn’t try. I used to love thunderstorms as a kid. My mother always had to be a spoilsport and drag me inside when there was a chance of tornados. How are you supposed to see the tornado when you’re under the stairs inside the house?

I know I should probably be grateful and all, but I secretly want the excitement and drama that I know only natural disasters and severe weather can bring. I’ll probably be singing a different tune when I’m climbing out from under the rubble after the BIG ONE (knock on wood).

3 Comments:

Blogger Shananigans said...

I'm sorry to break this to all you SoCal people, but rain is not a "disaster". Hell, where I'm from blizzards and sub-zero weather is considered a minor inconvenience.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Well, AZ has a long running history with wild fires, just like CA has earthquakes (and fires) and the south east gets pounded by hurricanes and the midwest gets slammed in the winter. Its nothing to worry about. Its been that way for a long time. Now if SoCA got hit with a blizzard, the East and midwest got hit by earthquakes, and Arizona was hit by monsoons then I can get alarmed. (of course, I won't be alarmed I'll just fake it for your amusement).

10:37 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Thanks Stew. I wish more people would fake it for my amusement. Amuse me world!

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home