Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Stop being such a complainer…or woe is me.

Life can be stressful y’all. And most of the time it has nothing to do with things you have control over, which sucks. And when the big things are stressing you, the little things can get to you even more.

Case and point: I was waiting in line at the pharmacy earlier this week and was happy to see that I had arrived with only one person ahead of me in the pick-up line. I had been cleaver enough to call ahead and let the automated system know when I would like my prescription to be ready. So, with one person ahead of me in the line how many people do you think the pharmacy tech addressed before getting to me? If you said one, you are wrong. The correct answer is three. After serving the person in front of me a girl from the “in” window where people who don’t call ahead have to stand to get their Rx filled came over and started demanding that the tech at my window, who had just nodded to me as next in line, take some sort of card for her insurance or something when it was explained to her that it was not possible for some reason. They had to get a pharmacist from the back to come out and tell her the same thing before she finally completed her transaction while complaining loudly. My turn now, yes? No, some other chick comes wandering out from an isle straight up to my window and asks if her Rx is ready yet, and the answer was no. She demanded to know how long, because she doesn’t have much time. Don’t worry lady, the rest of us back here in line have all the time in the world. Let’s drop everything so you don’t have to wait a second longer.

Then I was finally able to proceed to the counter where my prescription was waiting for me and I paid and left. This entire transaction took less than one minute, and I had been standing in line for over 10 at this point.

Normally I would say hey, it’s just ten minuets and these poor people were obviously never taught any manners so let it go. Also, you might wonder why I didn’t say something or demand I be allowed to complete my one-minute transaction before these pushy broads were served. Because I have a deep fear of confrontation that’s why. And I can’t stand to be rude if I can help it at all. And shouldn’t it be the pharmacy employee’s responsibility to say “hey sister, get in line”? What really bothers me isn’t the ten minuets though, it’s the message these gals were sending to everyone else waiting in line whether they were aware of it or not: “I’m more important than all of you so just hold on while I get myself taken care of first.” And that just pisses me off.

So, now for the bigger stuff. My boss put in his two weeks on Monday. This makes me sad cause I really like him and working with him and it's only been a short three months. He got a position at another org that is a step up for him. So I'm happy for him and all, but the uncertainty of what's going to happen is getting to me a bit, and the whole department as well. There are two BIG fundraising events in the next month so we all have a lot on our plates right now and now all of my boss’s duties must be reallocated elsewhere until a replacement is found, which I understand could take a while. I should really look at this as an opportunity to step it up and show the big bosses how I can handle it and do a lot more ‘cause that is what career gals do.
Fun fact: My last three bosses were fired shortly after they hired me. Coincidence? I hope so.

More bad news: I went to the dentist yesterday and had some x-rays taken. I need a crown and possibly a root canal and a filling. Do you know how expensive all that is? On the bright side I should be able to pick up radio frequencies and messages from other planets in my mouth.

Good news: I have a YMCA membership and have been going to the gym for a week now. I’m also trying to eat a less crappy diet. This is going pretty well for one week in. I refuse to set specific goals because I think they only set me up for that feeling of failure, and then you can only be encouraged by whatever progress is made. I’ll let you know how it’s going as this moves along.

What? Oh, yes I do have lots of work to be doing right now. But blogging is part of venting and stress relief, which totally makes me more productive in the long run right? Right.

10 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Right!
See, you're sweet (bippy), but sometimes you gotta get Salty at others for everyone's sanity. Try it out in the mirror "The line is behind me." Its honest and fair, not rude. Did your boss say he is going to take you with him?

2:13 PM  
Blogger ramblin' girl said...

right!

but you should say something to the effect of, "I'm sorry, I think I'm actually next." which gets your point across and yet gives them the chance to be the uber-bitch or at least explain why they think their life is so much more urgent. either way you've stood up for yourself (and the others in line behind you) without being completely insensitive to the fact that sometimes there are reasons behind people's impatience (sick kid in car, waiting for prescription).

good luck with the new boss!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Thanks for your support guys! Maybe next time I will try to grow a spine.

Leah, I actually meant that my last three bosses at three different places of employment all got canned. Two restaurant GMs and the Dir. of Dev. at the last non-profit I worked for. I’ve only been at my current job for a bit over three months myself, so I couldn’t really say what the turnover rate is like. Hopefully this upheaval is that last we see in this department for a while. My record for post-college employment has been eight months. I have high hopes for this job here, so let’s keep our fingers crossed.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Blogging always makes me feel better! I don't know what it is but it does!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Now that's an update. Confrontation, I hear ya', and who knows how productive that interaction would have been.

Good luck with new job, crown, and enjoying the gym and a new diet...holy moly, that's a lot of change. Give yourself some pampering time in there, too.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Beans said...

Right.
Right on with the diet man. Im trying a new diet which consists of me pondering whether or not to eat the Wheat Thins or not.
Go ahead and vent, I do it and people seem to enjoy it...

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time you have trouble with women butting into the line at the pharmacy use this approach when confronting them... "Listen bitch, those genital herpes ain't goin' nowhere so you can just wait in the back of the line like everyone else." When spoken at a high decibel level it's often more effective. (caution: Make preparations to patronize a different pharmacy should this plan severely backfire)

10:05 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Franklin you so funny. I do like the idea of bringing up genital herpes, 'cause lordy knows if you ain't got 'em, it's funny.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Gosh...I can totally relate to the rude people. That sucks.

And the boss thing....my boss might be leaving too....there's a lot of stress involved since I'm his Executive Assistant. Who do you assist when your boss leaves?

Oh well.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

Aww..Shanani...you sound frustrated. i'm sorry. You DO have a lot on your plate. I say, kick your feet up, have a margarita and watch a goood movie!

there's always tomorrow.

and yes always take time to blog. it IS theraputic.

oh and another thing...i meant to say soy CHORIZO and potatoes. Mm...it's VERY good. tastes just like chorizo...you'll be amazed!

hope your'e having a better day!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home