Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I got mad skillz

So, things have been kind of dull around here you might have noticed. Not much going on but workworkwork as usual. I’ve been going to the gym a bit more regularly, which is good. I even hit the pool twice last weekend.

Wanna hear a story about how I can lose things in the most improbable way? Alright, I guess that will have to do as a post for today.

Last week Thursday my whole department was going out to lunch to celebrate a birthday. Some of the group went in the birthday girl’s car and I volunteered to drive two others in my car. Our parking garage has one of those electronic card systems where you wave your little card, the thing beeps, and the gate opens for you. So, as I’m messing with my CD player I go to tuck my little card next to my coffee mug in my center console, only I somehow managed to drop the card in a tiny slot alongside my parking break (don’t ask how, I have no idea). Well crap! What was I gonna do? I could see it down there, but there was no way to get to it. As I was poking at it with my sunglasses of course I only managed to push it down farther.

So, after we cruise around looking for a way to get to the visitor exit where there’s a booth with a person in it whom I hoped would have mercy and let us out, we discover that there is only one way and that is through a gate that is closed. We asked the staff person there if she could open the gate so we could get out, but she was not a manager. Unfortunately for us, only a manager can open that gate, and being the most helpful person ever she had no idea when the manager might be back (I’m so lucky my co-workers have so much patience and a great sense of humor). So, they were essentially holding my car hostage until my card could be retrieved or a manager showed up.

As you can imagine we were quite late for lunch already. We ended up having to go across the street to the other parking garage where one of my co-workers who was with me parked, and we took his car. We called on the way and told everyone already at the restaurant to go ahead and order. They sounded annoyed. What the hell were we supposed to do? It’s not like we were late on purpose. Luckily the manager was there by the time I needed to leave work that day and let me out. Thanks Jose!

Anyway, Jason was able to help me take out a screw and hold the console partially open so I could fish out my parking card. I scratched up my arm a bit, but it was worth it.

That’s the best I got for right now. Hope you found that at least mildly entertaining. I also lost one of my earrings that I wore all the time in the pool at water aerobics last week. It was my birthday present from Jason this year :~(
I can manage to lose or break just about anything, jeeze louise. It’s so much fun being me some days.

Happy Humpday!

And a belated Shana Tova to all.

7 Comments:

Blogger Aarwenn said...

Definitely attach something bulky and brightly-colored to it!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

That's a good idea. If I get a bulky key chain for it that should help.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Stuff like that happens to me ALL THE TIME. I lost an earring in a car once and the boy found it 3 days later. LOL.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, if you put it on a keychain though make sure you use one of those clippy things so you can detach it because your car will be running when you're leaving the parking garage.

TBone

2:06 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

that's awesome! sounds exactly like something i would do . . . the clutz that i am.

i couldn't find my debit card for a few days, but i knew i had lost it somewhere in my house rather than someone having stolen it, so i refused to call and cancel it.

in the middle of the night last night, i woke up and remembered where it was. i went and got it out of the pocket of a coat i hadn't worn all summer and had only just worn once earlier this week.
sheesh.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

At least it’s not just me. I found a mini disco ball chain in my desk drawer. That should work for now.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

That story made me mad at the world.

Why don't your stories ever involve my scrotum?

I must retreat to the shadows and weep.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home