Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Happy Holidays and Bah Humbug to you too!

So, I kind of feel like I fell off the face of the earth there for a while. I had a very nice trip home. I got to meet my cousin’s new baby boy (so cute! pictures to follow). I hit some of the shops on Friday and got some retail therapy on with my sisters. Some new shoes and a new coat, and we went to David’s Bridal and tried on bridesmaid dresses. I think we managed to find a couple options that are tasteful and don’t make me look like a cow (both key). I love you Caribou and Dunn Bros Coffee! Miss you here in LA.

I also had the pleasure of spending a “night out on the town” (or as best you can manage in Hudson) with my friend Darah. We went to the trendy new hang out called The Nova, a little restaurant adjacent to the “Historic” (as many things are labeled in Hudson) Casanova Liquor Store. It was actually quite nice! Cozy, small, big selection of wine, a few beers, and light meals and appetizers on the menu. And we got big King and Queen carved wood chairs next to the fireplace. We had some wine and chatted, but headed back relatively early since her little boy Asa (who turned one year old last Tuesday! Happy Birthday to the Ace Man) was sick.

I got to spend quite a bit of time at the Hudson YMCA and went to the best class ever! Now I don’t even go for group exercise classes really, but BODYFLOW® was just awesome. My sister has taken the BODYPUMP® classes too and says great things. Too bad none of the local YMCA locations offer the classes. Boooo!

But I have not been to the gym for almost a week anyway, because not only did I carry back warm memories of a weekend spent with friends and family, I brought with me the inevitable Cold of Misery with Sinuses of Death as well. I was kind of feeling off last Tuesday as I was getting ready for my flight back to LA, but wasn’t feeling too much wrong till Friday. Saturday night I stayed out too late at a party (70s theme by the way and lots of fun!) and woke up Sunday knowing something was definitely wrong. Yesterday I called in sick and spent the whole day popping DayQuil, blowing my leaky-faucet nose, and complaining. My head still ain’t quite right, but then again perhaps never was. Trying to work with this hazy head isn’t much fun. The staff holiday party is tonight, hope I’m feeling well enough to enjoy it.

Speaking of the Holidays, I’ve decided I’m not a big fan. I know it’s probably blasphemy and all, but I just don’t really like Christmas that much any more. People get all consumed with…well, consuming. The only value the holidays have for me now is an excuse to visit family because I don’t see them much anymore. And sure, I enjoy a couple gifts from people I’m close to and like getting them a little something thoughtful in return. But really, the big to do and all that jazz really doesn’t appeal to me, and I hate that damn cheesy Christmas music they play in all the stores this time of year. So since I’m not into the commercial/secular or religious side of the holiday, there hardly seems to be much left in it for me. Since I decided to travel for Thanksgiving and not Christmas this year, Christmas will be without snow, quiet, and a four day weekend with which I can do whatever I want. Just fine by me.

I’m gonna try to actually get though some of this work as well as my groggy head will let me. Wish I had a whole week of sick days so I could just sleep :/

3 Comments:

Blogger Aarwenn said...

Holy crap, I just posted about this. Read my blog! http://everydayfeminism.blogspot.com/2005/12/mean-reds.html

10:49 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

sorry you're sick girl! have you tried emergenC? my naturopath tells me that if you load your body up with stuff like that and vitamin C and echinasea and all that good stuff (try doing one every 2 hours) you can cut the life of your cold (or at least the symptoms) back considerably.

christmas . . . yeah, i HATE the horrid music they play. but i still love the holiday (mostly because my little sisters are so into it!) and i love having the time off work to go and visit family and eat good food together. it's really fun for me to find the perfect gift for people (especially since my family doesn't have any money so my sisters hardly get stuff they need/want otherwise) and show them how much i love them . . . but this year i feel rushed and cranky and i don't like it . . . i wish i could just take the entire month off and slowly ease into it!

have a great holiday just relaxing though . . . and treat yourself to a massage or something!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

About getting sick, Tabitha Jane has the right idea. Good for her.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home