Tuesday, January 03, 2006

It stinks!

If you or anyone you know is planning on seeing the movie Syriana, just do yourself a favor and don’t bother. Save those 126 minuets of your life and do something useful. We went to the movies yesterday afternoon and bought tickets to go see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but when we finally made it into the theater (for some reason it takes a good solid 5 minutes to get an over-priced diet Pepsi at concessions, even when there is no line. Yeah, I don’t get it either) it was very full and we realized that we were either not going to sit together or we were going to be craning our necks in the very front row. Instead, we opted to hop into another theater, and Syriana just happened to be starting in a few minutes.

I can’t begin to tell you how bad this film was. I’ll just say I can’t remember the last time I was so freakin’ BORED in a movie theater. No discernable plot, the characters are opaque and underdeveloped, as are the characters’ relationships to each other. What the hell was the point of this film? Couldn’t tell you. The acting was actually quite good, but that alone could not save this disaster. I kind of feel like this is one of those films that people say they liked just so they don’t have to admit they didn’t get it and feel stupid. I just think there wasn’t much to get. The US is too dependant on foreign oil and the big players are all corrupt scumbags that will stop at nothing to keep the status quo and make big bucks, keep poor nations subservient and squander a quickly disappearing and non-renewable natural resource. OK, that could have been the point of the film, but that’s just my speculation it’s not like they made that at all clear. And besides, that's hardly an interesting or new position. I want my $8 back.

So, anyone seen any good movies lately?

8 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

wow really? What was the movie about the jewish people that just came out? That wasn't it, was it?

anyway, the last movie i saw was dirty pretty things. damn that was dark. but good. nothing at the theaters though. i dont' go to the movies except to see harry potter.

although this weekend i'm goi gto see brokeback mnt. can't WAIT to see that one!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

No, you're thinking of Munich. Jason saw that and wants to see it again so maybe I'll catch it while it's still in the theaters.

I want to see Brokeback Mountain too, and I still haven't seen Rent or Narnia.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

Narnia is really enjoyable--I LOVED what they did with the kids. Tilda Swanton (sp?) as the witch is not as good as I hoped she would be--but that was the fault of the script, I think. Or the director.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Gunngirl said...

TK--can't believe you mentioned Dirty Pretty Things, I heard about this from Roger Ebert, and got it on Netflix. I love it, but I don't think many people saw it though.

Shananigans, I found you through glitterglamgirl. I like the blog.

And I love rants about movies, I knew from the trailer I wouldn't know what was going on. I won't lie. I'm usually the one going 'why did they kill him? I thought he was with them?'

2:26 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

I read a synops of dirty pretty things on IMDB and netflixed it. I'll watch it once I get trough the other 23 disks on my que!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Thats so disappointing! From the trailers it looked like it would be really interesting.
The last movie I saw in the theater..... gosh - that was back in August for my birthday and it was Saving Face. It was cute & funny.

11:22 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

i saw "jarhead" recently and that was very good.
i also saw "wallace and gromit and the curse of the whererabbit" last night. it was cute! i saw it in this late-run theatre that you have to be 18 or older to go to and they serve beer. so here were all these adults drinking beer and watching wallace and gromit and laughing at all the "adult jokes" . . . it was great!
my friend saw "Brokeback mountain" and said that it was really good. she still almost cries when she talks about it.
rent and narnia are both worth the money i think. don't expect narnia to be like lotr though (people do and are dissapointed) it is a story for kids . . .

9:33 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

and the white witch in narnia has dreadlocks like mine!!!

that was really exciting.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home