Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Is it June yet?

Because that’s when I’m going on vacation…in Costa Rica! Yes over the weekend I accomplished many things, and buying my ticket to Liberia, CR is one of them. We will be staying in the casa of one of the bridesmaid’s parents in the northwest Pacific Coast region. I forget the name of the town, Playa something, just south of the Parque Nacional Santa Rosa which is home to the largest remaining stand of tropical dry forest in Central America. I bought the Lonely Planet guide to CR and the more I read the more excited I am getting. So much wildlife and things to see, maybe I’ll even take a surfing lesson.

Other things I accomplished over President’s day weekend:
Did my taxes (and my refund covers the cost of my airline ticket and passport renewal, sweet!)
Went to Yoga on Saturday AM
Swam 2800 yards in the pool on Monday
Shopped at Target, Ross and Whole Foods
Cooked yummy food
Took dog for long walks
Watched season 2 : disk 2 of Six Feet Under

We tried to go see the Tea Leaf Green show at 14 Below in Santa Monica on Saturday night, but it was sold out when we got there. Super lame-o.

Why can’t every weekend be a 3 day weekend? I’d get so much more done.

And finally some food for thought. This is reposted from a forum I frequent, NoPuppyMills.com, in a thread concerning the “designer mutts” that are all the rage right now, “puggles” (pug/beagle crosses) in particular. It just sort of resonated with me as very true and very sad:

"The vast majority of Americans have no concern for the suffering caused by unethical breeders or the animal suffering caused by those who use animals to put money in their pockets. People want what they want and they turn their heads or try to justify their actions. Some people actually have no clue. They are thoughtless and empty headed people going through their daily lives never questioning anything. I find that most people are just selfishly apathetic and don't want to know as long as they are able to satisfy their wants. This is America and we are self indulgent to the point of ridiculous. It takes too much effort to care. It takes too much effort to consider the consequences of our actions. We are obsessed with consumerism. If it tastes good, feels good, looks cute, gives us pleasure, makes us look cool, is a means to pay the bills then that's all that matters to most. I find it interesting that every year the United States generates approximately 230 million tons of "trash", consumer waste, crap that no one wants, no one needs. That's 5 lbs per person per day.Consumerism also takes a toll on our pet animals as well. On average 2-3 million pets are euthanized in shelters across the country every year, another example of consumer waste. 2-3 MILLION, yet no one cares. Everyone is so obsessed with their wants, desperately trying to justify their actions all the while savoring their juicy disease causing burgers, steaks and chicken fingers, which were once living suffering animals, without a care in the world. I think we should be ashamed of ourselves. I can only hope that we can encourage future generations to move forward and make some progress in changing and becoming a more conscientious and respecting people at a scale that the average Amercan [sic] can grasp. A nation that is compassionate, ethical and well educated is a strong nation and one to be admired."

10 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

you did do alot that weekend...doens't that feel good? I love when i'm motivated and things unfold easily.

i didn't read your puppy mill thingie...i get too upset about it. i was just looking at our sac city pound website. i think i'll adopt another doggie...name him/her fergus. or dingle.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

lol...Dingle. I can't wait till I have a proper house and a yard and $$$ so I can have 2 doggies. Dexter is a lonely only doggie :(

9:58 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I've never been to Costa Rica, but everyone I've talked to who has ever been there says that its their favorite place on earth. A couple of friends are even looking into moving there

11:46 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

wow! i love your blog.

i just found it thru The Veg Blog and i'm gonna be hooked!

hugs from san diego...

7:31 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

mmm target, ross and whole foods. a girl after my own heart!

when i get a dog, i want to name it falcor. like from the never ending story!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Welcome kleopatra! I see you're into animal rescue, cool beans.

Tabs: Falcore is an awesome name, that was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

I think I would need to get to know an animal before I could give it a name, but that's just me. The rescue Dexter came from was calling him "Sparky" and the shelter papers before that listed him as "Spike", and oddly enough a pit bull mix ??? What were they smoking?

11:52 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Is it Playa Naranja (Orange Beach)? Because I have been there and it is very near Liberia and Santa Rosa. Have a great time; it is amazing down there.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

I checked with my sis, we’ll be staying near Playa Conchal in Playa Brasilito. That’s south of Playa Naranjo according to the map, closer to Santa Cruz.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

you're so lucky. always wanted to get to costa rica

11:48 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog Ryan. Everyone’s comments are welcome here as long as they’re not deliberately derogatory or destructive. I see what you’re saying, I think the only reason we don’t eat dogs in this country is because of the strong association with them as companions, not food. I actually think it’s pretty hypocritical of people to scarf down cows and chickens and look down with disgust at people in other nations, such as South Korea, where eating dogs is the norm or even considered a delicacy. What I don’t see is the direct correlation between dogs “going to waste” in the US and the possibility of feeding people in developing nations. I don’t think it would make sense to export dogs to other nations to feed people for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the societal faux pas of eating animals we think of solely as pets. If this weren’t an issue I don’t see any reason we wouldn’t already be feeding the millions of hungry people right in our own country with “excess” dogs. Lord knows we have enough of them to go around. I’m not specifically advocating this of course. In my view of an ideal world the role of animals as food and in agriculture would be greatly diminished, and factory farms and cruel treatment of all animals would be abolished. Do I think this is possible? Not in my lifetime, and not as long as we continue to view animals as commercial commodities. However, as the world population continues to grow I think there will come a time where the burdens of meat production on the environment and energy consumption will become too great to sustain at the rate of demand. Something will have to give sooner or later by necessity.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home