Monday, February 06, 2006

Wherefore art thou not vegan, oh Jell-O?

We had a smashing Nonukah weekend and I am having a very hard time being awake today at work, even though I slept quite a bit during the “big game” yesterday.

I really, really wanted to make vegan “Jell-O” shots for the party last Saturday (if you don’t know why regular gelatin products are not vegan, or Kosher for that matter, read this. I know, gross!) So, I went to Whole Foods first because I remembered buying it there before, but they told me the brand they carried was discontinued and they had not yet found a new supplier. I then went to Trader Joe’s, Wild Oats, and even One Life Natural Foods in Venice. Nothing, nada, zip, all traces of delicious vegan jelly desserts have disappeared from Los Angeles! Even this online store I found that sells it is “out of stock indefinitely”. Alas, there were no Jell-O shots this year. Next year I will have to remember this and order long before the day of the party. I brought some mango flavored Finlandia vodka and made some fuzzy navel type concoction with peach nectar and orange juice. It was good and all, but I am still disappointed by the lack of Jell-O fun that could have been :/

I am so excited for the Price is Right tomorrow!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannagians...

FYI there is Kosher geletin but it is often not vegetarian. The main diff. I am told is that w/ kosher geletin the hooves are bleached naturally whereas with unkosher geletin the hooves are bleached using chemicals (i.e.formaldehyde). Kosher geletin is often used in yogurt and jello.

Tbone

4:16 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

i made vegan strawberry jam with agar flakes . . . can you use those to make jello?

12:15 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Agar is the base of most vegan "gelatin", so I’m sure I could have used them but alas I didn’t see any agar flakes at any of the stores I went to :(

4:51 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Agar! That's what I use in experiments in my petri dish! Ok, so I'm a lil confused about the whole vegan thing. I thought that vegans don't even eat yeast or honey... so the question is... what alcohol is made without fermentation? Or is veganism like islam with varying degrees of fanaticism?

5:05 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Interesting question Stew. Although I’m trying to reduce my egg and dairy consumption I'm not a vegan, but my understanding is that there are varying degrees of veganism just like there are all kinds of vegetarianisms (is that a word?). But unless you’re a fruitarian or something similar, I think most vegans will consume single celled organism like those used to make “soygurt” or beer or to bake bread, but usually not honey.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home