Friday, June 30, 2006

Farmer’s Market Friday

I’ve decided to make this a regular installment, because I know ya’ll are as infatuated with fresh produce as I am. Kind of my own version of Midweek Munchies only it’s Friday and the only things included will be fruits and vegetables. Today was heavy on the fruit because I feel like I’ve been way under-consuming on the fruit this week. Ideally I try for at least 3 servings a day. So, this week’s picks:

1 lb red cherries
1 cantaloupe
2 heads broccoli
4 tomatoes
2 bell peppers – 1 orange; 1 yellow
2 Haas avocados
3 lb mix bag of peaches, plums, and mish mish (that’s apricots to you non-Hebrew speaking folk) they were all $1/lb, bargain!
Big bag of naval oranges
Grand total: $19

What am I eating at my desk for lunch today? So glad you asked. I’ve got some awesome spicy hummus with carrot and cucumber sticks and tandoori masala naan from Trader Joe’s for dipping. I also have a spinach, walnut and orange slice salad with champagne pear vinaigrette (also from TJ’s).

Kick-ass Spicy Hummus Recipe:
2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
¼ c H2O
¼ c lemon juice
½ c tahina paste
1 can (15 oz) chick peas rinsed and drained
½ t paprika
½ t cayenne pepper
1 t salt

Blend it all up in your food processor or mash with a potato masher if you don’t have one. It gets even better if you let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Happy weekend to all. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

Hummus sounds great..

Your produce finds are really wonderful.

5:53 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

YAY for hummus that kicks ASS ; )

oh and for farmers markets too

Teddy

PS Don't forget to stop by my blog while I'm on vacation. Richard's still posting for me ;)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Marathon Someday said...

I love hummus - especially the home-made kind! yummy.

But the one thing your list inspired me to do, is buy some avocados this week and make fresh guacamole.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I really can't praise this hummus enough. It's chunky blended with smooth, and so right on the money with the amount of garlic.
And, also for you non-Hebrew speakers, it's pronounced Meesh Meesh. I don't know what the hell a mish mish is.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

yuck on the humus, but the salad you were eating sounds fantastic!

I love your blog girl!

3:12 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Jason, I do speak Hebrew. Funny!!!

That hummus sounds spicy, tasty and utterly FANTASTIC!!!

Shan, ask Jason what "Tov M'od" means... or maybe you know...

Way to get on the Farmer's Market, too. NICE!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

I'd like you to know that I think of you everytime I choose to eat vegetarian! :)

Also, I'm down on TJs this week because I bought the big Organic Mixed Medley of tomatatoes--you know the one I'm talking about--and they ALL WENT BAD. Boo. I only ate a couple. And I had to toss out the blackberries, too...although I didn't keep those in the fridge and I should have, so maybe that was my fault. And a tip for everyone: if you don't have time or inclination to make your own hummus, the TJ's Organic Hummus is really excellent.

On the plus side, HELLO AVOCADOS! They are so good right now! The strawberries here in Seattle are almost too ripe--I need to make a tofu shake with them today or I'll be tossing those out, too. HATE TOSSING OUT FOOD.

And...do you participate in any good vegetarian/vegan forums? I have a question about kale.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

That Hummus is right up my alley!!! Thanks! Great list! My farmers market doesn't start for another 2 weeks...blah!

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home