Wednesday, June 28, 2006

So simple you probably think I’m simple minded

I love me some asparagus. I also love the way it makes your pee smell funny. Usually I just steam it up and maybe throw a sprinkle of salt and a bit of margarine on it. But last night we were having chana masala so I wanted to give it a bit of a lemon garlic kick to complement. This is so easy I wouldn’t even call it a recipe, but the asparagus turned out so well I thought I’d share my asparagus preparation. First I steamed the asparagus (woody stems trimmed off of course) in a pan with a tight fitting lid for 5 minutes. While the asparagus is draining in the sink melt a bit of Earth Balance spread in the pan, throw in one clove of finely chopped garlic and stir that around in the margarine on medium heat for about 2 min. Add the asparagus back to the pan and squeeze the juice of ¼ lemon over it and salt and pepper to taste. Mix up the asparagus till coated. I like my asparagus a bit softer than al dente, so I put the lid back on and turned on the heat for a few seconds till I could see the lid steam up a bit, turned the heat off and let the asparagus sit there for a few minutes to soften a little more. So that’s it, simple, quick and flavorful asparagus. No I didn’t take any pictures, I was too hungry. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

next time, you gotta eat something before you cook so that you're not too hungry to take photos for us of what you cooked! you could even take photos of the snack for us if you ate something before the snack! you see, it's all about eating & taking photos. too funny your blog also got the pee-pee mention! :o) thanks for the recipe, i'll have to try it, & i always pop the lid on for a bit w/asparagus too.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Blogging is an odd sport.... I just read about the past two months of your life and looked at all your flik'r photos. I feel like a peeping dori, so it would only be right to say hello.

You have got some awesome indian food dishes happening in that photo section! I'm all for asparagus too... I didn't know about that pee thing, I guess I keep to many deodarizers in the bathroom.

Looking at your photos from Nov .... I could definetely see your weight loss, good job! Yes, definetely an inconvience. :)

3:01 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

i love asparagus too, shan!! i'm all for the easy prep there, too...

8:42 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

mmmmmmmm, ass-pa-grass!!!!!!!!!! Me loves it but hate the smell of the pee. eww!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

vicki – your post actually reminded me of the asparagus I made and prompted me to post, so thanks! I’ve been trying to post more frequently. I hope more frequent posting doesn’t erode the high standard of quality content this blog is known for ;)

Hi peeping dori :~) I love that about blogs, they’re just like little windows into other people’s lives. I do love Indian food, it probably makes up more than half of the new recipes I try. And thank you, I just looked at my older pictures and I can see weight loss too. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I lost 30 lbs because that is so not like me.

I’m glad everyone is such an asparagus lover, it really is a unique vegetable. Oh, and vicki posted this very informative link on her blog about the funky pee. Fascinating subject :)

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home