Tuesday, July 25, 2006

It’s Electric!

Last Saturday was the big to do party of the year for the non-prof I work for. It’s on the lot of Paramount studios, and it was so mad hot I thought I would melt right onto the asphalt before the party even got started. I shouldn’t complain too much, I didn’t have to show up until 4:30 in the afternoon and some of the event staff and volunteers had been there since 8am! I would have died.

I was stuck at the VIP red carpet area until about 9. There was some lightning going on, we were afraid it was gonna rain on our party but we lucked out. After I finished my shift I was free to roam the party with Jason and see the live music. So, the exciting part: I saw Deborah Gibson! (don’t you dare call her Debbie). Yes, the famed pop princess performed “Shake Your Love”, “Electric Youth”, and some other jazzy Broadway type numbers. This girl has still got the pipes and the spunk.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And now, the magic.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Deborah Gibson and Jordan Knight, yes that Jordan Knight, sing the duet “Say Goodbye” together for the first time ever. If I had my pick of any NKOTB member I totally would have voted Joey, but this was still exciting for the nostalgia factor if nothing else. I’m not going to say the performance was spectacular or anything, Simon Cowell would have taken Jordan down, but it was still fun.

Now give me some Sugar!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That’s Mark McGrath of Sugar Ray. He was pretty hot…I mean sweaty of course ;) And seemed a little drunk. But this was a fun performance as well.

There was an auction, and dancing, and I did the “Smirnoff Experience”. A fun night, but I felt so sorry for the people that had to work all day on this thing, I got off pretty easy. I’m glad this only happens once a year because it’s exhausting.

14 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

Deborah! I always liked her music. And she was/is a huge Billy Joel fan, and that always impressed me. She's a singer/songwriter who plays the piano. Now THAT is an artist.

Never into NKOTB, they were a little after "my time"... Jordan's a cutie though.

Mark McGrath. YUM. Super adorable. HOT is right. I like my guys sweaty. :o)

Glad you had fun even tho it was obviously exhausting.

SHAKE YOUR LOVE, Shan!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

and what is a smirnoff experience???

2:05 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Ok, this is hilarious.. Who knew they still made the rounds?

4:17 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Deborah Gibson, I read her name twice and then the thought occured to me, oh! Debbi... but then I stopped my thought. I dare not. :)

4:34 PM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

Looks like a fun concert. She has a great voice.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Carrie™ said...

That whole night sounds like a blast! I'm curious about the Smirnoff Experience as well. I have had "A" Smirnoff experience or two in my day, but that's probably not what you're talking about.
Mark McGrath! I'm sending my sister over here to check out your blog. She adores him. Actually her words are "I could just chew him". Yea, my family is weirder than weird.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

When I first read your title I was thinking Electric Slide...Electric Youth Kicks, too! :)

I LOVE Mark Mcgrath! LOVE, LOVE.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

The “Smirnoff Experience” was basically a blind taste testing arena. 9 different flavored Smirnoff vodkas vs. “the competitor” vodka. Of course I only did the rounds at 4 sample tables; I was supposed to be “working” after all ;) By the way, Skyy melon and Absolute vanilla are really nasty.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I can't believe you failed to mention how during the song FLY Mark knelt down at the front of the stage as though he were praying and had his hair pet by some girls in the front row. Yes, they were petting him. I bet they wanted to take him home, too. "Can we keep him. Pleeeeease."

11:08 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

this looks like a blast! walkin' the red carpet, rubbin' elbows with the stars, drinking mystery cocktails, live music performances, & petting mark mcgrath! what else is there?! let me know if you want me to stand in for you, or go with you next year! i'm ready. :o)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

How cool!

My favorite was Donnie. Not sure why - wasn't he the oldest one?

-Crystal

12:58 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Oy, to pet the hair of Mark McGrath. Harmonia and i would volunteer...

1:50 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

who the hell is MARK MCGRATH???

am i THAT old?

1:51 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

tanya kristine:

"who the hell is MARK MCGRATH???

am i THAT old?"

no, it's not you, it's that his music is THAT old. he was/is the lead singer for Sugar Ray. most famous for "I just wana fly. Put your arms around me baby.." great song a couple years back.

do they quality as One Hit Wonders?

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home