Friday, August 25, 2006

I heart Russ Feingold


<3



This morning I had the honor of attending the ANGLE (Access Now Gay and Lesbian Equality) breakfast at the Wyndham BelAge Hotel in West Hollywood, with none other than Wisconsin Democratic Senator Russ Feingold as the key note speaker! Being from Wisconsin and pretty liberal in my politics, Senator Feingold is something of a political hero to me. He also holds the distinction of casting the lone dissenting vote in the Senate against the U.S.A. PATRIOT Act back in 2001. I got to shake his hand and speak with him briefly, mostly we just chatted about Hudson, my home town, and Madison, seeing as we are both Badger alums and his own daughter just graduated from the UW a couple years ago. He comes across as a very genuine and kind person, not something you see often in politicians these days! He inspires and he gets things done. He’s also quite a bit shorter than I imagined.

He spoke of course about marriage equality, given the crowd in attendance and the fact that Wisconsin is in the position to be the first state ever to strike down a ballot measure this November banning civil unions and same sex marriage (read the full press release here). He also touched on alternative energy, campaign finance reform, terrorism and the national security crisis, Katrina, the situations in Lebanon, Iraq, and Africa. A man after my own heart he is. I would love to see him become president, I would vote for him. He has such strong leadership and really makes an effort to get down to the grassroots level and connect with his constituents and their needs and positions. He holds town hall type meetings in every one of Wisconsin’s 72 counties every year to listen to the people and address their concerns, he said that over his tenure he has conducted close to 1,000 of these meetings! I could gush on and on. If you haven’t taken the time to get to know Senator Feingold I would encourage you to do so, he’ll be one to watch for in 2008. It’s not that I don’t like Senator Clinton, I’ve just gotta side with my fellow Badger, you know?


Happy Friday all, I’m off to market to pick up some goodies and heading home early so I can take a nap before the Phix show tonight at the Knitting Factory. Yay!

7 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

well you've made me all warm & fuzzy for him...let's check out his stance on animal abuse and if it's waht i think it is, he's got MY vote!!!

and i count.

have fun!

1:47 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

He sounds wonderful.

Do you have room in your heart for two fab Jewish men?! You must! Russ sounds like a great guy and i'm glad you got to talk to him for a little too!

I've been to the Knitting Factory... hope you have fun at the show there tonight!

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He definitely sounds like a winner. The next 3 years with Bush in office are just going to drag on. Ugh! I really hope our contry smartens up in time to cast the right vote during next election. Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

3:23 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I LOVE him.. he has been a refreshing voice of reason in this corrupt minefield of PC crap spewed by many dems.. He has had the balls to stand up for truth and reason... I am very disappointed in Hillary... I think she's sold out

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to someone so progressive in politics!!! I wish we had more like him!

Your dog is absolutely gorgeous (and flexable). Most dogs I can walk by on the street and not make much of a fuss over, but Great Dane's (is that his breed) always turn me to mush!!! Love-em!

7:27 AM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

that sounds awesome!
and i didn't know you were from WI

Teddy

9:57 AM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

He sounds like a Fein senator with a heart of Gold, hence his name. It's time for more progressive politicians who stand by what they beleive. Let's hope it's not just talk.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home