Friday, August 04, 2006

The unthinkable

I got an e-mail from Care2, one of those activist lists I subscribe to telling me to sign petitions to stop horrible things going on all over the world. Today’s message centered on a supremely disturbing story.

This is sick. I mean really, really sick. I know some cultures are less sensitive to non-human beings than others, but this just goes beyond. How would you feel is someone offered you $.63 to kill your own dog, otherwise you would have to wait for the “killing team” to come and beat your dog to death? This should never happen. Sign the petition if you want. I did, but I am pessimistic as to how much good it will actually do.

So, where were we? Oh yes, all is wrong in the world and how can humans be so cruel, poverty, war, global warming, discrimination and hate, I’ve been on hold for 18 minutes waiting to talk to a representative…and oh yeah, produce!

As much as it seems like the whole planet is headed down the tubes, I managed to have another pleasant trip to the Koreatown farmers market today.

Farmer’s Market Friday

2 medium Haas avocados
1 large Green avocado
1 bunch asparagus
2 ears corn
3 uniquely colored bell peppers (I may even post a picture later, they’re pretty)
1 bunch broccoli
1 bunch sweet basil
1 cantaloupe
3 ripe on the vine tomatoes
4 large nectarines

I made some really yummy roasted eggplant last night. I used one of those long skinny Japanese eggplants, sliced, salted, sweated for about 45 minutes then rinsed and patted dry. Then I tossed the eggplant in a bowl with the juice of ½ a lemon, some soy sauce, a little olive oil, black pepper, Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute blend, and I added some bread crumbs to soak up the extra liquid and coat the eggplant a bit. I roasted the slices on a baking sheet alongside red pepper strips in a hot oven (400-450) for 20 min, turning halfway through. I ate the veggies over some leftover whole wheat couscous and pre-packaged “Madras lentils” (TJ’s strikes again). End result is very tasty, I just had leftovers for lunch. However, deemed not pretty enough to photograph.

Hope everyone has a smashing weekend.

8 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

omg... that soooo horrific.... how can people be so cruel.. how?

sometimes I feel there is no hope for this world.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

i signed. great farmer's market run - hope to see the peppers.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Carrie™ said...

I did sign the petition but I'm wimping out and not reading the story. I just can't.
Good stuff at the farmer's market. Don't you just love the summer when everything is fresh!
I hope you have a smashing weekend too, and try to keep cool!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

I read the link, sad. I subscribe to care 2 also. Looks like a great bag of market goods!

9:36 AM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

I signed that petition. Thanks for posting about it!

Teddy

12:19 PM  
Blogger Kuntal Joisher said...

all is wrong in the world and how can humans be so cruel, poverty, war, global warming, discrimination and hate..

All I will say is Welcome to Age of Apathy...

5:09 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

I'm with you, Shan. I've been a Care2 member for years and also signed the petition. It's so horrifying and unforgiveable that it defies explanation.

Unreal.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog and linking to me. I'm going to update all of my blog reads tomorrow and I'll add you as well. Can't wait until I have a little more time so I can browse around your site a bit more.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home