Monday, August 28, 2006

VwaV Brooklyn Pad Thai

Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. We had fun at the Knitting Factory on Friday night, good friends and good music. Saturday I made it to the beach for some playtime, sad to think that in a few weeks it will be getting too chilly to go in the water anymore. Oh well, better take advantage while I can!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We made this pad thai from VwaV for dinner last night. Nothing like a big bowl of refined white carbs now and again, yum! It was pretty tasty, but the recipe disclaimer that it is not authentic pad thai is right. I couldn’t find any flat rice noodles, just the really skinny kind. I even went to the Japanese market to try and find some, but to no avail. I made the recipe pretty much to the letter (half recipe, just the two of us eating), minus the lemon grass and I didn’t use all the oil called for. 3 tablespoons for two servings of noodles just seemed excessive. I took a picture of the noodle packaging because I thought it was cute and I love packaging that I can’t read. Look, it’s 100%...something!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I’ve been experimenting with making a pear vinaigrette salad dressing and think I’ve come up with a pretty decent one. The first time I made it I used fresh pears and pear juice from a carton, but it can be costly and difficult to find good fresh, ripe pears year-round, so I gave it a go with canned pears and it came out pretty well.

Champagne Pear Vinaigrette:
1 15 oz can pears in juice
2 T Champagne vinegar
2 T oil (any kind you like, I used soybean oil)
1/8 to 1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 to 1/4 t black pepper
Sweeten to taste, I used a few drops of liquid stevia extract

Dump it all in the blender and puree till smooth. I like this on salad with walnuts and mandarin oranges. It would probably go well with many flavors, but I would think primarily with salads involving nuts and fruit.

I was pretty busy in the kitchen yesterday, I also made a batch of VwaV seitan and a big pot of chickpeas for making falafel, hummus, and maybe some chana masala later in the week. I was buying my chickpeas canned, but last week I realized just how many chickpeas we can go through and figured it would be cheaper to buy dried chickpeas and they really don’t take that much effort. Plus you can avoid the added sodium of the canned beans.

Have a good week everyone. Badger football season opener is this Saturday, very exciting! We’ll be creaming Bowling Green at Cleveland Browns Stadium. I love college football season because it means I have an excuse to start drinking beer early on Saturdays.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

Look! its 100% something!

that was funny...

2:14 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

That's sure 100% something alright!
hahaha.

Your pear vinagrette looks good.

I've been eyeballing Brooklyn Pad Thai, just haven't done it yet. Glad to see your pix of it. I like your big triangles of tofu.

3:24 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Dried chickpeas, what a splendid idea. The canned ones always seem to be loaded with sodium, yer right.

Pear vinagrette... that looks like a winning recipe to be sure. I love pears, love 'em!

100% of something is right! What could it be?! I had a friend of mine at the newspaper who is Japanese read it and he wasn't sure what the top line said with the characters around the 100%, but he said the second line says, "it tastes good."

You probably knew that after making 'em, 'eh!? :o)

Nice to hear that you had a fun weekend. Knitting Factory and the beach sound like great times, Shan!

Go Badgers! I can check on any cool pre-game info for you during the season if you are at all interested...

5:19 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

I'm weird - i love it when i can't read the package. It's like a surprise! haha :)

Teddy

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I should really start buying dried beans. We go through so many cans each week. Beans are definitely our staple food but they're so quick and easy. Although I'm thinking I could be better prepared and cook and freeze for the future. I'm not sure if this helps my simplifying or not. As a new bean cooker, you'll have to let me know how it goes.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

SOunds interesting! Hey! Thanks for your comments on my blog while I was away...I'm back now and my day has been going pretty bad...your comments seem to make it a little better :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger kaivegan said...

100% too funny!!!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home