Monday, August 21, 2006

VwaV (finally) and an LA weekend

I had a pretty busy and productive weekend. Most exciting of all, I finally got my hands on a copy of Vegan with a Vengeance! I don’t know how I lived without it. I started with the chocolate chip cookie recipe. I’ve been trying to lay off the baking because large amounts of baked goods in the house can only mean trouble, but it was Jason’s dad’s birthday. And it is just rude to let someone’s birthday pass by without baking them something.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The recipe begins with a disclaimer that these are not healthy in any way. And they aren’t, but damn are they good. The batter was a little too crumbly after it was mixed so I added a couple small splashes of soymilk at the end. There were so many chocolate chips that there were some left in the bowl that the batter just couldn’t hold, so I went and shoved them into the top of any cookies I could find an empty spot on (not easy!). I made some with walnuts and some without, because for some crazy reason some people don’t enjoy walnuts in their cookies. I gave away most of the cookies and kept a small stash.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

For Sunday breakfast we made the tofu scramble. We didn’t have cremini mushrooms, so we just used the few white mushrooms we had as well as some squash and some frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained well. It was very tasty. I’m still having issues with the nutritional yeast, it by no means ruined the dish for me but I just am not fond of the smell.

I can’t wait to make more delicious food, this will be a well used cookbook for sure.

I managed to get plenty of exercise in this weekend. On Saturday I went to the gym for pilates ball and swam laps, and yesterday I went to the beach and boogie boarded and worked on my tan for a couple hours, walked my dog and a friend’s dog, and then practiced rollerblading with my dog. At first it was a little scary to be going so fast, but after a while we got the hang of it and I was feeling a little more in control. Dexter went for a 30 min run this morning while I bladed, hopefully he’s good and tired and being a good boy at home today.

Last night we went out to dinner at California Vegan. I tried a new dish, the California Orange Chicken, it was so good. I love that place. Afterwards our friend Becca came over and brought the L.A. Story DVD with her. I can’t believe I’ve never seen this movie before, if you live in or have spent any time in LA it is especially hilarious. It stars Steve Martin, and also has Sarah Jessica Parker and Marilu Henner.

I thought I’d share this picture of a particularly large and beautiful heirloom tomato, with Buddha for scale.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hope everyone’s week is off to a great start.

19 Comments:

Blogger theONLYtania said...

Aha, I think I can see a loan chocolate chip on the plate that must have overflowed off a cookie. They look delicious, by the way.

And also, I have that same little Buddha man!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Whoa! Day-zah-vooo! Check out my post with the books from Friday! I worded it just that way, too, "finally got my hands on a copy" of VWaV...you're really starting to freak me out...hahaha!

Oh! Plus, don't know why it took me so long but I finally noticed the Yonder Mountain String Band link on the top of your music section. Nifty tunes they perform...I haven't listened to them in a while...thanks for the inspiration to revisit their CD's of past...I think I will.

12:44 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

omg, those cookies... they looks just like tollhouse.. scary shit. but it's great that we can do the vegan thing and make it good for people.

Sounds like you were very active.. if I ever lose enough weight to feel comfortable on blades, I'd love my dog to pull me... she would love it too. My kids let her pull them on their skateboards.

All I do with the eggplant is brush it with the marinade, then grill it. Then I pour the marinade over the cooked eggplant and it is soo good, especially after it sits overnight.
The tofutti cheez does have hydrogenated oil, so we hardly ever eat it... stupid hydrogenated oils.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cookies look fabulous!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

who the HELL does not like nuts in their cookies? they need to be on medication!

i tried the tofu scramble. i din't fall over with glee...it wasn't bad. i can't remember the dishes from her book that i like so much but when i do i'll tell you to make it. k?

la story. THAT had marilu in it? i saw that a while back. i rememer it being funny...

you did get a good work out in. it's important to blade with your dog too becuase they need a better workout to exhaust themselves than a walk. i take my bike too for kody...i always worry though. am i working him out too hard? he's panting pretty heavily. i try to make him walk but he just wants to fun...i'm a baby.

pretty tomato.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cookies look really scrumptious. I still don't have Vegan with a Vengeance. It's on my list of musts though. Some day...

Loved L.A. Story. My favorite part is when Steve Martin is going to go to his friend's house and he gets in his car, drives to the next door neighbor's house, and get's out. Classic!!

5:34 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

everyone is really making me want cookies. and i'm trying to be good about it. i broke down and bought some newman o's yesterday. i couldn't help it

teddy

9:59 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

I'm one of those weirdos who likes cookies sans nuts... so thank you for thinking of peeps like me! :o)

And may i say your cookies look SO GOOD!!!

Jason's dad is a lucky guy, obviously! Way to make those lovely sweet things for him. Go, you!

I have found, over the years, that tofu scramble is one of the best things about bein' veg*n, i have to say. Your photo makes me want to jump in there and grab some. Plus those "sausages" - YEAH BAYBEE!!!

That cookbook is gonna rock yer world.

I loved reading about all your exercise. GOOD FOR YOU! In more ways than one, obviously, Shan. I haven't bladed with any of my dogs... probably because i've adopted 'em old and they would not be able to keep up that well. Not that i go that fast, but... How did Dexter do the day after?!

California Vegan is surely a place i am going to need to visit...

I love "L.A. Story" by the way, it's hysterical!!!

Thanks for the "Buddha-ful" post and wishes for a great week.

Back atcha, kiddo!!

12:35 AM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

I've had VWAV for awhile but have never made those cookies. Damn, they look good. And so does everything else on this post!

3:51 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Thanks for your lovely comments everyone!

I made the VwaV veggie chorizo for dinner last night, we had it in soft tacos. I would have taken a picture, but after I was done loading up my tortilla you couldn’t see the chorizo under the toppings anyway. Jason said it didn’t taste anything like chorizo but liked it ok, I liked it a lot. Leftovers for lunch today, yum!

I took Dexter out blading again this morning, I think I’m gonna try and make it a daily thing. He has so much stress and anxiety, I figure a good workout in the morning can only help. This morning he didn’t take off like a rocket like he did the first couple of times, I guess he remembered how tired he got and knew he needed to save his energy. I’m the one that needs to slow down for him now, that can only be a good thing ;)

9:46 AM  
Blogger meesh said...

Hi there! I wandered in from Pices Place and just wanted to say that I really like your blog. :) I am a recent vegan convert and have been pawing through potential cookbooks quite a bit lately. I'll have to take a look at Vegan with a Vengence. Those cookies look amazing! I'm one of those oddballs who doesn't like nuts in my cookies.What can I say? I'm picky. :P

1:00 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

I'm a no nutter cookie person too. Those cookies do look absolutely delish. The mega amounts of chocolate would go over very well in my house.

Rollerblading, I did that once. It took me forever to get them on. I walked across the carpeted living room while being encouraged by my son. I took one step out the front door while holding onto the door frame. I rolled one skate on the sidewalk for about 45 seconds. I pulled my foot back inside and onto the carpet. Walked across the carpeted living room, sat in the chair, and took them off. I was rather pleased that I am not afraid to try new things. :)

6:24 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Wow, those cookies look great. I bought some vegan chocolate chips and need to use them soon for cookies.

Careful rollerblading with your dog...you know how that could end up :)

Glad to hear you have some herbs growing too. Basil and rosemary are great to have and pretty easy to take care of. We started with just a few herbs and now we have tons. Wonder what we'll do next year...


-Crystal

6:30 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

shanani...i just bought some xylitol becuase of you. i coudln't remember if you said good things about it or bad things but for $5 i took a chance...now i have to find that post..

9:13 PM  
Blogger The Relentless Reader said...

Can I just say YUM!!! Omg I want those cookies right this minute! :)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

:: Rub the Buddah Belly ::

:) Mikaela

11:36 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

I keep hearing "L.A. Woman" in my head... "L.A. woman, Sunday afternoooooooooon..."

I had yesterday night off work, hooray! Peter and i bladed around part of Mission Bay in the afternoon! SOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME! Then we grabbed vegan burgers at Kung Food and sat in the parking lot at Coors Amphitheater to listen to Journey and Def Leppard in concert.

Life is good.

You have to come down here and blade w/me sometime, Shan. I have sooooooooooo many groovy spots i want to take you to!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

whooo hooo for you on getting VwaV! and yes, it'd be totally rude not to make the cookies - and soo nice of you to leave some w/o walnuts for folks like me! :o)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Candi said...

Hi! Just popping in and I saw those cookies!! Lol! Those look great! I have been avoiding that recipe since, like you said, Isa mentions they are not hte most healthy... I feel the need to make them soon though after your gorgeous photo of them!

Wow, you are so active with your exercising and taking your dog out! I feel all lazy now after reading your post and may have to go on a hike tomorrow!! lol!

You're awesome and I love your blog!

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home