Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Celebrate, good times! Come on!

Last night we picked up our good friends Ben (aka Virginia Slim) and Tosha (aka TBone) from the airport. Sounds like they had an amazing time in Israel, and we’re glad they’re back safe. Welcome back and Mazel Tov to the newly enfianced happy couple!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sorry guys, I’m at work and don’t have access to all my photos. All I got is this cheesy picture of you with a novelty blow-up avocado. Mmmm, avocados…

Guess what I did this morning. No really, guess. OK, I’ll just tell you. I went running. Yeah, so what, big deal, right? Except I have always professed to be a hater of running, I just have never liked it. I always thought of it as right up there with doing algebra and licking toads as far as activities I’d rather not be involved with. I heard about the Couch-to-5K Running Plan some time ago and thought, if I ever attempt running again this seems like the way to go. I tend to throw myself into stuff and lose patience quickly if I’m not just brilliant at it immediately, thus most of my past running attempts burned out pretty much instantly. I recently came across these nifty podcasts designed to take you through the program, basically it’s music with a guy telling you when to run and when to walk – foolproof! With my bum shoulder keeping me out of my usual gym activities for a bit, I figured now is as good a time as any to conquer my biggest fitness foe – the running. So theoretically in 9 weeks I will be able to jog continuously for 30 min or 3 miles. I’ll let you know how that goes. I’m scarily optimistic about this.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The podcast idea is really awesome. I'm with you in my sheer dislike for running. Can't stand it. I'd much rather fast walk or ride bikes. Good luck!

Enough with all this healthy talk now. I think I'm going to go make some brownies. We have a little basil ice cream left and brownies would finish it off nicely!

3:19 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

i love running - been doing it for 24 years pretty steadily. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, Shan. I'm very excited for you!!!

Mazel Tov to the couple, by the way. Have you been to Israel, Shan? I haven't made aliyah (yet)... Such a fun photo, by the way. I laughed but GOOD.

By the way, if you can, please drop by my blog. Doggies need Californians' help.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

i'm an avid run hater too. but i've been doing it off & on for the last few years. i jst bought new shoes and i've committed to running once a week. sometimes twice (the other times i bike to work).

i like the pod cast idea too...i'm gonna chek it out!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

KeloPatra - Aliyah is the actual moving and relocating to Israel. It's means to become a citizen. Not sure if that's what you meant.

And what's wrong with licking toads?! I'm not not licking toads!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know how the running goes. I'm curious. I've always wanted to run.

2:05 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

I'm a fan of fool-proofness
hmm i'll check the link


teddy

9:10 PM  
Blogger Carrie™ said...

I am so not a runner. I've tried. Numerous times, but it's just not my thing. Like Vivacious, I'd rather walk or ride a bike. (Plus, those activities are easier on my back). I'm a bit envious of anyone that can/does run, so good luck to you!

5:04 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Good for you!!

I hate running, but it is something I want to learn to tolerate... There was a time in my life where I could run... I am sooo not there now.

I'm the type who can swim longer than she can run.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

You runned?!

Wow I want to run, but for now can just walk really fast for three miles (takes me a little under 45 minutes). You motivator/ guide sounds great!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

wow, running podcasts -- that's a brilliant idea. shan, i'm in a state of "wow" over you conquering this running thing because how you talk about running is EXACTLY how i feel! good for you & good luck -- it may turn into a Forest Gump thing where you just keep running & running & running &

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home