Thursday, September 07, 2006

Cold Noodles with Peanut Sauce and Seitan

Tonight we welcome feature guest chef Jason to the program. Say "hi" Jason!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I came home from the gym to the smell of peanut sauce cooking. This recipe is from VwaV p. 165. It calls for udon noodles but we didn't have any so we used flat wide rice noodles instead, worked very well with the sauce. We didn't have any bean sprouts for garnish, we opted for yellow pepper instead of red, used chunky instead of smooth peanut butter in the sauce (I enjoy chunks of peanuts, so I actually recommend trying it if you do as well), otherwise this is pretty much the recipe as is in VwaV. We took this opportunity to break in our new cast iron skillet. I don't know why we never had one before, this seitan fried up so nice! Overall, this dish gets a big two thumbs up.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All I did was chop the veggies and slice the seitan, the rest was all Jason's doing. A tip of the hat.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have this tub of miso sitting in my fridge from the miso gravy I made a while back. I thought I’d try my hand at making some soup. It ended up being really bland so I added salt and pepper but added too much. I think I can save the rest of it by adding some more water and miso whisked together, definitely needs work. Also I think the miso paste I’m using is very mild, I might like a variety with stronger flavor better.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Yay, Friday once again! Enjoy your weekend y’all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

The seitan did indeed come out spectacularly in the cast iron. Also, I would reccomend using chunky PB as it absolves the need to add crushed peanuts. While they're not called for in the recipe who doesn't want crushed peanuts in their Asian peanut dish?!

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home