Thursday, September 14, 2006

File under “WTF!?!”

So I was out rollerblading with Dexter on the bike path near our apartment, just like I do ever day, and came across a man walking a GSD (that’s German Shepherd Dog to those of you outside the dog world). I’d seen this dog once the day before, and he let out a nasty bark when we passed by but that was it. Today the dog started acting up bit as we were about to pass so the man took him aside to he grass and let us pass. We met up with them again going to other direction and he heard us coming from behind, so he moved over to give us room again. Just after we passed something happed, and I’m not sure exactly what. All I know is I ended up on my ass and the shepherd was off his leash on top of my dog. It was pretty scary, and I have to say the guy was a little less than competent in retrieving his dog and getting him off us. He first thought to ask me if I was ok. Granted an “are you ok” is expected after something like that, but stopping the dog at large should probably be the first order of business. Probably. Cowering on the ground trying to pull my dog back to me and staring at this dog not really knowing what he was going to do, I was a bit in shock and a feeble “help” was about all I could manage. The guy took a hint and got his dog, explaining “he got off his leash”. Trying my best to stay calm I just answered “I can see that”. At that point I just asked him to give us some space so I could get up and get away. A concerned passerby checked to see if we were alright as well. Thankfully the other dog didn’t really want to kill me or Dexter, and no one is badly hurt. He was just putting on a big show of snarling and barking and Dexter got slobbered on pretty good. I did land pretty hard and my right bum cheek will probably get bruised, my right shoulder and wrist hurt a bit (probably be stiff by morning) and I have the tiniest bit of road rash on my wrist. Could have been a lot worse.

This is the second time in a week that out of control dogs have caused me to wipe out on my blades. The other incident involved a dog on an extendo leash (I fucking hate those things!) that cut us off so I had no choice but to do a face dive into the grass or I would have clotheslined it. That dude actually chuckled a bit after I stood up and checked out to be alright. Granted it was a pretty good face plant, I felt one of my blades fly up and hit me in the back, and I’m sure it was hilarious. But he could have had the decency to wait till I was out of ear shot before he started laughing. Asshat.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sick and tired or irresponsible people and that includes irresponsible pet owners. I cannot stand it when people (1) let their dogs roam free around the neighborhood (2) don't pick up after their dog's poop (3) don't spay and neuter (4) don't have their dogs under control when walking them in public (5) ok, I'll stop now. I'm getting too MAD! It's too bad that a few rotten people have to spoil others good times. I'm glad that you're not hurt.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Dicks. (can I say that on blogger?) Yes, I mean the owner and the dog. Our neighbors (in a townhouse mind you) had a GSD and never leashed it. I am not a dog person and kinda scared of them, so you can imagine what I felt like when it would run into MY garage in attack mode.

They finally got rid of the dog after it tried to attack their own baby. Duh! If you don't instill any training or restraints what do you think will happen?

Too bad this happened to you - that totally sucks and hurts! Hopefully you don't run into them again.

-Crystal

9:12 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

That totally sucks... I'm glad that you will be OK, but it sounds like you are pretty banged up..

It is really irritating when people don't have control of their dogs in public.. I don't get how the dog could all of a sudden get "off leash" like that.. geez, especially if you have a dog like that.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

I'd like everyone to know that I have a GSD (well, he's a mix) and he is ALWAYS ON A LEASH. Really, it makes my life so much better and easier. And everyone else's life, too! This is why apartments have breed restrictions, which is so annoying because if everyone's dog was leashed and properly behaved, there would be no need for damn breed restrictions. Sigh.

Shan, sucks that that happened to you.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home