Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Still alive…

…and kickin’! Writing to you live from Madtown it’s me. Y’all still remember me, don’t you? Well, we have moved and aside from some setbacks everything is okie-dokie. I would just like to point out that moving sucks and I will never again let my possessions out of my sight. We thought hiring a moving company to move our stuff and putting my car on a truck so we only had one vehicle would have made our lives so much easier. Why else would you pay so much for the services if they weren’t there to make your move more convenient for you? My car was picked up on Oct 30 and didn’t arrive until last Thursday. That’s 2 ½ weeks! And my car was so crusted will road salt I almost didn’t recognize it. The truck my car was on broke down in Denver, so there was at least a reason for the delay. The movers came and put most of our worldly possessions on a truck on Fri, Nov 3, and we were definitely given the impression that the 21 day allowance to deliver in the contract was strictly a legal formality for the moving company to cover their asses, and in all likelihood our stuff would arrive in a week, shortly after we did. We rolled into Madison on Nov 7. Long story short, our stuff left LA yesterday according to the movers. Oh, and one more point we missed initially, they technically have 21 business days to get our stuff to us. Luckily we were planning on buying a new bed when we got here anyway since we left the old crappy one back in LA, and our kindly landlady has given us a free couch. I really miss my stuff though. Ah well, live and learn.

Also, Jason had mistakenly given our new phone and internet provider the wrong apartment number. You would think a simple error like that wouldn’t make a huge difference in getting our services set up, especially since we called them on the planned start-up date. You would be wrong to think that though, because after many a frustrating phone call and being jerked around and being giving 3 different dates by three different reps, we didn’t get any service for over a week.

But despite it all, I am in pretty good spirits. Because I am at home and I love it here. I wasn’t born and raised here, my hometown is about a 4 hour drive north, but ever since my freshman year of college this place has felt like home to me and it’s good to be back.

I am still looking for work, my main job prospect was sadly not offered to me. Would have been nice, but there will be other opportunities. In the mean time I’m temping.

Dexter has adjusted fine to the cold and the snow (yes, we got snow once already! But it melted pretty quick) but he has been having some gastro-intestinal distress on and off since right before our move. He had vet visits before and after moving, but it looks like I’ll have to line up another appointment since it’s still going on.

I guess that’s all the news from Lake Wobegon. I will get up to speed on my picture posting one of these days. For now you can just enjoy this picture of me with a lollipop guild cow in front of the state capitol.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You can see a lullaby league cow in the background. There are more cow designs and info about the CowParade here. The cows are being auctioned off now, but they were fun to see around town while they were on display.

16 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

yayayayaa, I'm glad you made it there ok. CA misses you!!! :) Keep warm. Happy Thanksgiving!

6:10 PM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

MOO-ving sucks. Glad it's over with. We missed you!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Madison.... Wisconsin? If so you are in my part of the US now, well a little more north, we have seen flakes a few weeks ago but no snow yet.

21 days! Wow, take the fine print literally. The pumpkin post - I love it!!

The kittens all found homes. We have the mother cat still (and probably will 'cause no one seems to like grown cats).

Last night I brought Lucy the dog home with me. She was a stray that was going to be put down, the vet thought she was probably about 9 months. Although she will be available for adoption when she's tagged I think that after night one she has captured our heart. I'll post pictures soon.

5:21 AM  
Blogger madeinalaska said...

what an ordeal! glad its over.
Welcome back!
Oh by the way after reading your four things thingy.. I am totally addicted to the dog whisper!
take care
Julee

9:43 AM  
Blogger Aarwenn said...

Hi honey, I'm back, and you look GREAT! Obviously moving agreed with you?

11:31 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Wow - what a pain in the rear! That is too bad - I would be totally freaking out and on the verge of driving to meet the truck driver to take over the wheel. You're amazingly calm about the whole situation.

So, we'll be in the same place tomorrow. Hope you have a great drive up here. My parents live down the street from Sibley High School on Delaware - will you be anywhere near there? Is Caribou open on Thanksgiving?

-Crystal

11:54 AM  
Blogger Carrie™ said...

I did a move half way across the country years ago and it is a total pain. Hell, moving around the corner is a total pain. I'm glad you got your internet service working. The last time I moved I was a week without internet and I went snakey. I risked using the work computer for personal stuff because I was like a junkie in need of a fix. I'm sure Dexter will be OK. It's a big adjustment for them. They don't understand what's happening. After our last move Simon kept peeing on the floor and howling like he was being tortured when I left for work. Now he rules the entire place. Good luck with the job hunt. Sending positive vibes!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

you are so fortunate. i am jealous. when i visited my mom up in Bellingham i really jsut wanted to stay. well, send for Kody of course.

i hope Dexter is okay!

1:23 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

oh boy do I know the pain of moving! I think I've moved over a dozen times in my life and about 3 times across the country. PHEW. I'm glad to see you back though!
Looks like everything will work out for you :)

Teddy

4:39 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

WHERE ARE YOU ?

9:40 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

LOVE the cow!
Congratulations on making it back to Madison. I know what its like to leave a city you love (in my case, Boston) to return to the home that you love even more (Sacramento)

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope things are going a little bit better for you! That's a cute cow and a great pic of you. I can't wait until you're back and blogging regularly now.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Glad to see that you are doing okay, I was wondering about you! Moving sucks in a big way, I've done 2 cross country moves. No more, thanks. Hope things are settling down for you!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are still with us!!

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannonon,

Where are you??? We need an update?

Tosha

2:04 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

love the cows -- LA did a similar thing with angels. i was completely fascinated by them. take care.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home