Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Shan can cook

I actually made something new, so I thought I’d post. I’ve been cooking some lately, but mostly the same old standbys like pots of chana masala and sloppy lentils or tofu stirfry with rice or noodles, like so:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

On the recommendation of Melody I picked up a bottle of mango chili vinegar at Trader Joe’s. I tossed a couple tablespoons of the vinegar with a couple tablespoons of melted Earth Balance, salt, pepper, and some whole wheat breadcrumbs I made with odds and ends of bread I had left in my freezer. I coated brussels sprouts (frozen, slightly thawed) and a chopped sweet potato with the mixture and baked at 375 for 50 min. Super yummy, I can’t wait to use this vinegar in more stuff.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Just to give you a taste of what’s been going on here with the weather, here’s a shot I took from my window a couple weekends ago.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That’s some neighbors playing snow football.

I prefer warmer, dryer activities.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

12 Comments:

Blogger Dori said...

Cook Shan cook. :)

Love the picure of you and the doggie! I prefer those kind of activities also. Looks like you have the winter in full force there also. I've been in a cooking slump also eating some common unexciting dishes.

4:57 AM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

what a cuddly puppy!

i am going to have to try that mango vinegar.

2:11 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I love that pic of you and your dog... how cozy is that??? Dogs are the best!!!

I am happy that you tried and liked the vinegar.. I am in LOVE with it!

3:16 PM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

You and the pup are precious!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I will second that. That dish was TA-STEE! I wanted more but it was also very filling.

5:20 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

mmmmmmmm looks good!

7:22 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

That is such a sweet, lovely photo of you and the doggie. That warms my heart.

Speaking of warm, i am sorry, but i so do not miss that cold weather! Growing up in Chicagoland was a far cry from what's here in San Diego, as you know, Shan!! But i love snow... always have, always shall.

The food looks SO EXCELLENT! And the dishware is exquisite. Love the colors and designs!!

I went to Native Foods last weekend and i thought of you...

9:33 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Wow, that looks so filling and comforting. Yum. I've never noticed that oil before. I'll have to take a closer look.

I thought of you last night because I made a curry. Don't you love that you are now associated with Indian food? :)

7:21 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

awww...me too.

brussel sprouts. i usually douse them in mayo but that looks much more healthier. i'll have to try that oil. would never think to do that.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Carrie™ said...

How adorable is that last photo?
VERY!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Everytime I see a photo of Dexter, I think "What's Jolie doing with Shan?" The food looks fabulous and the plates are soooo pretty! Congratulations, & that's a romantic proposal!!! :o)

10:10 PM  
Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

wow indian all over the place

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home