Sunday, November 18, 2007

Weekenomicon

My copy of Veganomicon arrived last week, so I tried out a couple recipes over the weekend. Hope your weekend was a delicious as mine :)

Chickpea cutlets


Of course I love chickpeas and seitan so this seems like a match made in heaven, but I only liked them OK. I think next time I'll add some more seasoning and bake them instead of pan-frying. I do like that you can whip these up in about half an hour.

With a little chipotle citrus BBQ sauce they made a yummy sammich.



White bean and leek cassoulet with biscuits (sorry 'bout the crappy pic quality)


Soooo good! Maybe my new favorite cold weather comfort food. I had some locally grown organic haricot tarbais from the farmers market that were just waiting for a vegan cassoulet recipe to come along, once I paged to this I knew those beans had found their purpose. I usually go all cheap and use dried herbs, but I highly recommend splurging and going with fresh thyme on this one, at least the first time around. The biscuits are easy to throw together and I love that you get to bake them right on top of the stew. Next time I might try them out with whole wheat pastry flour or spelt.

The dish was well received by all.


VwaV Gigantoid Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies (with the addition of chocolate chips, because PB and chocolate should always live in harmony)


Mona went to her forever home on Saturday with a nice lady and her German Shepherd. Our new foster is coming home with us tonight. She recently gave birth to a littler of 9 and was spayed just yesterday so I imagine she'll be wearing one of those ridiculous lamp-shade collars for a while. Pictures coming soon!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to hear about Mona. You two are super sweet for fostering. Wish I could talk Marty into it.

That cassoulet has been floating around blog-o-sphere and really looks delicious!

YummmmmyyyY!!! Your choc addition to the pb cookies sounds perfect!

8:38 AM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

chickpea cutlet love! I have a couple for lunch today myself : )

8:49 AM  
Blogger ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Cut title name... and great pictures :o).

2:19 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Damn I'm hungry.

11:30 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

mmmmmm that buscuit stuff looks kickass!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I need the cookbook! The chickpea cutlets look great.

Glad you're back online - we missed you (and I guess I missed your return...but I'll catch up!)

-Crystal

1:33 PM  
Blogger Cakespy said...

I am very curious about those cutlets...I've heard of a few people making them and everyone says they're great! Everything looks yum though.

8:09 AM  
Blogger herbivore said...

It is apparent that the white bean cassolet and the chickpea cutlets are the most populary food items for veganomicon. The cookbook seems so packed with wonderful recipes I find it interesting everyone tries the same ones. I do have to admit, that white bean cassolet looks like everything I love in a dish. Especially those biscuits.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like everyone else has already said, that white bean and leek casserole looks crazy good.
Ive heard so much about veganomicon, but Barnes and Noble has such a huge vegan/vegetarian section I have a really hard time choosing. And for some reason veganomicon didnt jump out at me right away, but with some of the recipes Ive seen posted, I think Im going to start singing a different tune.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home